HDM Spice Shop:
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Serves: Serves 2
A delicious okra curry with onions & tomatoes
- 2 Onions (Medium)
- 200g Fresh or frozen Okra
- 200g Tin chopped tomatoes
- 3” Fresh Root Ginger
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Fresh Green Chillies
- 3 Tblsp Cooking oil
- 2tblsp Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1tsp Cumin seeds
- 1tsp Coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp Chilli powder
- 1tsp Garam Masala
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tsp Turmeric
- Wash the okra whole and drain before patting down with a tea towel or kitchen paper.
- Slice the onions, peel and grate the garlic & ginger. Thinly slice the green chillies.
- Heat oil (or Ghee) & add mustard seeds till the pop, for a about 30 seconds, then add cumin seeds & coriander seeds for another 30 seconds
- Add onions & fry for 3-5 minutes until the onions are a golden brown colour
- Add grated garlic, ginger and green chillies. After 1 minute add chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric & salt. Cook for 5 minutes more on a medium heat while stirring regularly
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pan & simmer for 15 minutes
- Top and tail the okra & cut them to desired length
- Add 250ml of water to the pan (this is to make sure there is enough water in the curry mixture to simmer for 10 minutes), bring to the boil
- Add the okra and stir on high heat for 2 minutes. Now leave to simmer for 10 minutes
- DO NOT ADD WATER AFTER THE OKRA IS IN THE PAN.
- Garnish with the fresh coriander leaves.